Anadarko Waiting on Better Margins

Chesapeake Released 2015 Q1
Anadarko Q2 Report

Anadarko released its second quarter financials this week, announcing a 73% decrease in profits over last year and a reluctance to pinpoint when they will return to growth mode.

Related: Anadarko Reduces 2015 Spending by 30%

During a conference call on Wednesday, CEO Al Walker expressed the caution felt by many in the industry as crude prices continue to fluctuate. Margins remain low for the company as costs outstrip service providers' ability to cut prices.

The uncertainty is particularly acute around operations in the shale plays, including the Eagle Ford. Walker was hesitant to commit to a timeline for moving back into a growth mode in the shale plays, saying that they do multi-year planning and can’t make predictions based on quarterly results.

shale plays “deplete 50% to 80% in the first year, so there we have to be very confident of the margin environment that we’re moving into, because we’re not going to be able to capture that on the back side of the well, since so much of the production will have occurred. So that’s why I’m a little hesitant and cautious about exactly when we’ll see this company in particular and industry more broadly be encouraged to go back into a growth mode.
— Anadarko CEO, Al Walker

Anadarko is one of the Eagle Ford’s largest producers, with roughly 388,000 gross acres in Dimmit, LaSalle, Maverick and Webb Counties.

Second Quarter Highlights

  • Drilling efficiencies improved in the Eagle Ford
  • Company will do new testing in the upper and middle Eagle Ford
  • Expects to achieve its objective of drilling more than 200 wells this year
  • Increased year-over-year oil sales volumes by 42,000 barrels per day
  • Achieved large-scale project milestones in the Gulf of Mexico and Mozambique
  • Announced deepwater exploration success in a frontier basin offshore Colombia
  • Announced more than $1.7 billion of monetizations year to date

 

Encana to Expand Eagle Ford Inventory

Chesapeake Released 2015 Q1
Encana Q2 Report

Encana announced strong second quarter performance along with plans to expand Eagle Ford operations.

In a press release last week, Encana Corp reported that the second quarter of 2015 marked seven consecutive quarterly increases. Total company production averaged 389,000 (BOE/d) with Encana's four strategic assets contributing approximately 223,000 BOE/d (57%).

"Following our successful portfolio transformation in 2014, we continue to lower costs, improve well performance and increase well inventory in our four most strategic assets," said Doug Suttles, Encana President & CEO. "We exited the second quarter with significant operational momentum and we expect to accelerate liquids growth through the second half of the year."

Encana is relatively new to the Eagle Ford and purchased 45,500 acres in a $3.1 billion deal in May of 2014. Suttles said that though adverse weather and flooding in Texas impacted the quarter, Eagle Ford inventory has almost doubled and the company plans to expand even more.  Eagle Ford highlights include:

  • Reducing D&C costs by almost 30%
  • Averaged $6.2 million well cost
  • Significant improvements to our artificial lift systems
  • Expect our total Eagle Ford production will be exceeding 50,000 Boe a day shortly. This represents a 15% increase from Q3 2014.
  • Undrilled well inventory stands at over 600 locations- a 70% increase since we acquired the asset
  • Ramping up production in the Permian and Eagle Ford where we expect to bring on approximately 40 wells in July and an additional 36 wells over the balance of the third quarter

Encana's recent announcement that they will layoff over 200 employees will be would not affect the Eagle Ford operations.

Read more at encanacorp.com

Cabot Plans to Reduce Eagle Ford Wells to One

Chesapeake Released 2015 Q1
Cabot Q2 Report

Cabot Oil & Gas reported second quarter earnings that highlight increased production, reduced costs and a focus on natural gas.

Related: Cabot Grabs More Eagle Ford Acreage in Oil Window

Shares of Cabot stock fell 4.4% to $26.39 on Friday after the company reported earnings of 3 cents a share for the second quarter. Revenue fell 42.6% year over year to $306.3 million, below analysts' estimates of $372.99 million. The company has no plans to change their $900 million capital campaign for 2015.

Cabot’s production increased over the second quarter of 2014 to 128.4 billion cubic feet (5% increase) of natural gas and 1.6 million barrels (68%) of crude oil.

In an earnings call, Dan O. Dinges, Chairman, CEO said the company will rely on discipline to weather the current pricing environment by focusing on improving efficiencies, reducing cost and focusing on natural gas.

I’m not as confident as what the oil price is going to do as I am what I see available to us on the natural gas side. So with that being said, we’re focused in natural gas, we’ll remain focused in natural gas. If we have the opportunity to improve our liquids position, it’s going to have to compete with what our view is long term in natural gas.
— Dan O. Dinges

Eagle Ford Operations

Cabot’s drilling activity is focused on 89,000 acres in the Eagle Ford Shale, which receives about 40% of the company’s capital allocation. Here are some highlights from the second quarter:

  • Net production was 17,889 barrels of oil equivalent (Boe) per day, an increase of 74 percent over the prior year's comparable quarter.
  • Cash unit costs were approximately $15.00 per Bbl
  • Decreased our drilling days by about 20% relative to 2014
  • Increased the average number of completions per day by about 20%
  • Upwards of 30% cost reductions across all service lines
  • Currently operating three rigs in the Eagle Ford Shale, with plans to decrease to one rig by the end of 2015
  • Plans to drill approximate 45 net wells in the Eagle Ford Shale in 2015

Read the complete press release at cabotog.com

New Eagle Ford Disposal Well

Talisman Cuts Jobs
New disposal Well for Eagle Ford

A new new Saltwater Disposal well has opened in Waelder Texas that will serve oil & gas hydraulic fracturing operations in the Eagle Ford Shale Play.

Fortress Environmental Services announced last Wednesday that the $9.3 million facility is now open for business and can accept 25,000 barrels of produced saltwater which is pumped to a depth of approximately 8,000 feet.

The new state of the art facility provides an air-conditioned trucker’s lounge/break room, free high-speed Wi-Fi, food, drinks, outside BBQ grill and hot showers.

All roads to the huge Fortress Environmental Services 10-acre truck stop are paved. The SWD facility provides four pull-through lanes, rapid 8-minute saltwater pump-outs, quick 30-minute truck tank washouts and convenient 10-minute fill-ups from an onsite 50,000 BBL fresh water depot.
— Press Release

Disposal wells are used to inject saltwater waste through high pressure methods deep into storage facilities underground. These wells have been the focus of recent criticism since a new study presented scientific evidence that they lead to earthquakes. The peer reviewed study led by researchers at SMU concluded that earthquakes in the north Texas communities of Azle and Reno were likely triggered by the wastewater disposal methods used by fracking companies.

Related: Texas Earthquakes: The Verdict is Still Out | Eagle Ford Shale Play

Eagle Ford Rigs at 112

Eagle Ford Rig Count
Eagle Ford Rigs

The Eagle Ford Shale rig count fell slightly this week to 112 rigs running across our coverage area by midday Friday.

In recent Eagle Ford news, the historic agreement between the U.S. and Iran has analysts and energy executives worried about the impact on the global oil markets and the Eagle Ford Shale specifically.

Read more: Will Iranian Oil Be Bad for Eagle Ford?

The U.S. rig count increased by 19, ending with 876 rigs running by midday Friday.  A total of 216 rigs were targeting natural gas (two less than the previous week) and 659 were targeting oil in the U.S. (21 more than the previous week). The remainder were drilling service wells (e.g. disposal wells, injection wells, etc.)374 of the rigs active in the U.S. were running in Texas.

Baker Hughes reports its own Eagle Ford Rig Count that covers the 14 core counties. The rig count published on EagleFordShale.com includes a 30 county area impacted by Eagle Ford development. A full list of the counties included can be found in the table near the bottom of this article.

Eagle Ford Oil & Gas Rigs

Natural gas rigs in the Eagle Ford fell slipped to 24 this week and natural gas prices traded at $2.78/mmbtu, an $.10 decrease from the previous week.

The oil rig count rose to 88 as WTI oil prices dropped again to $48.13, a decrease of $2.72. A total of 103 rigs are drilling horizontal wells, zero are drilling directional wells, and nine are vertical rigs. Karnes continues to lead development this week running 20 rigs, with LaSalle (15) and Webb (15) follow closely. See the full list below in the Eagle Ford Shale Drilling by County below.

Eagle Ford Shale Drilling by Count

Eagle Ford Shale News

Fierce Competition in the Eagle Ford

Sanchez Energy Strong in the Eagle Ford

Does Eagle Ford Drilling Add to Ozone?

What is the Rig Count?

The Eagle Ford Shale Rig Count is an index of the total number of oil & gas drilling rigs running across a 30 county area in South Texas. The South Texas rigs referred to in this article are for ALL drilling reported by Baker Hughes and not solely wells targeting the Eagle Ford formation. All land rigs and onshore rig data shown here are based upon industry estimates provided by the Baker Hughes Rig Count. Read more at bakerhughes.com